The Week Ahead at the United Nations
12-16 August 2019
Monday 12 August
Tuesday 13 August
• The UN Security Council hosts a briefing on the promotion and strengthening of the rule of law in the maintenance of international peace and security: international humanitarian law. Later, it holds consultations on UNIFIL, the UN Interim Force in Lebanon.
• Frank Laczko, IOM’s Director of the Global Migration Data Analysis Center, briefs reporters at UNHQ’s Noon Briefing on the launch of a new report, Fatal Journeys.
• Two conferences continue in Geneva:
o The 99th session of the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination continues until 29 August.
o The third session of the Conference on Disarmament continues until 13 September.
Wednesday, 14 August
• The Security Council holds consultations on UNOCA, the UN Regional Office for Central Africa.
• The President of the Intergovernmental Conference briefs on an international legally binding instrument under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea on the conservation and sustainable use of marine biological diversity areas beyond national jurisdiction.
Monday 19 August
In case you missed it last week:
- Planet or plastic? (video)
- Security Council meets on Benghazi: UN staff among dead in car bombing
- UN report: World food security increasingly at risk due to unprecedented climate change
- UN resumes food aid to Yemen after two-month break, as Houthis agree to standards
- Secretary-General warns of “learning crisis” – students unready for technology revolution
- Preserve, revitalize indigenous languages, or lose a wealth of traditional knowledge
- UNSC failed Syrian detainees: victim pleads it to ‘end impunity and stop this horror’
- UN boosts humanitarian appeal to help tackle worst-ever hunger crisis in Zimbabwe
For more information:
• For a complete schedule: http://bit.ly/2iQpxx7
• Download or listen to our daily news bulletins, interviews and podcast
• To find out which events will be webcast see: http://unwebtv.live/schedule
• UN News Centre: https://news.un.org/en/
• UN Secretary-General: https://www.un.org/sg/en/content/sg/secretary-generals-speeches
• UN Security Council: https://www.un.org/securitycouncil/
• UN Spokesperson: http://www.un.org/sg/en/spokesperson