Apr 29, 2019
The Week Ahead at the United Nations: 29 April – 3 May 2019
Monday 29 April
- The Security Council is expected to adopt a resolution on MINURSO, the UN Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara and will hold an open debate on the Middle East.
- The Security Council meets on the Middle East, with a focus on Syria.
- OCHA briefs reporters on Cyclone Kenneth.
- A new report on antimicrobial resistance is released.
Tuesday 30 April
- UN Peacekeeping Operations in Africa (House Foreign Affairs Committee hearing)
- International Jazz Day
- The Security Council meets on UNISFA, the UN Interim Security Force for Abyei, Sudan/South Sudan.
- UNFPA honors the memory and contributions of its first Executive Director with Her Excellency Margot Wallström, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Sweden, delivering the 15th Rafael M. Salas Memorial Lecture.
Wednesday 1 May
- The Humanitarian Impact of Eight Years of War in Syria (Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing; UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador Ben Stiller is among the witnesses)
- Indonesia takes the presidency of the Security Council for the month of May.
Thursday 2 May
- World Tuna Day
- The Security Council begins its annual two-day retreat with the Secretary-General.
Friday 3 May
In case you missed it:
Last week,the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues opened its two-week meeting focused this year on the generation, transmission and protection of indigenous peoples’ traditional knowledge. The Security Council held an open debate on sexual violence in conflict on 23 April, and consultations on Syria on 24 April. Secretary-General António Guterres addressed the Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation in Beijing on 27 April. Among the noteworthy commemorations:
- World Immunization Week
- International Mother Earth Day
- World Malaria Day
- International Girls in Information and Communications Technology Day
- International Chernobyl Disaster Remembrance Day
- World Intellectual Property Day
For more information:
- For a complete schedule: http://bit.ly/2iQpxx7.
- To find out which events will be webcast see: http://unwebtv.live/schedule.
- UN News Centre: https://news.un.org/en/
- UN Secretary-General: https://www.un.org/sg/en/content/sg/secretary-generals-speeches
- UN Security Council: https://www.un.org/securitycouncil/
UN Spokesperson: http://www.un.org/sg/en/spokesperson