The Week Ahead at the United Nations
15-22 September 2019
Sunday, 15 September
Monday, 16 September
The UN General Assembly holds its 107th plenary meeting. The President of the General Assembly, María Fernanda Espinosa Garcés holds her final press conference as PGA. Secretary-General António Guterres delivers remarks at the closing meeting of the 73rd Session of the General Assembly and attends a prayer service for the UN Diplomatic Community and Personnel ahead of the opening of the 74th Session of the UN General Assembly.
The Security Council is expected to adopt a resolution related to the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan, followed by a briefing and consultations on the Middle East (Yemen).
- Ambassador Vassily Nebenzia, Permanent Representative of the Russian Federation to the UN and President of the Security Council in September, briefs reporters.
Lise Kingo, CEO and Executive Director of the UN Global Compact, briefs reporters on the 2019 UN Global Compact Progress Report and the upcoming UNGC Leaders Week.
Tuesday, 17 September
Secretary-General Guterres takes part in a wreath-laying ceremony commemorating the 58th anniversary of the death of former Secretary-General Dag Hammarskjöld.
Secretary-General Guterres delivers remarks at the opening meeting of the 74th session of the General Assembly.
John Wilmoth, Director, Population Division, UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA) and Vinod Mishra, Chief, Migration and Urbanisation Section, DESA brief reporters on the launch of the International Migration Report 2019.
The UN Special Rapporteur on human rights in Myanmar and the Independent International Fact-Finding Mission on Myanmar will share their main findings.
At the Human Rights Council, two commissions of inquiry will present their reports: The Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic and the Commission of Inquiry on Burundi.
Wednesday, 18 September
Secretary-General Guterres holds a press conference to mark the opening of the 74th session of the General Assembly.
The Security Council holds a briefing and consultations on the UN Mission in South Sudan.
Assistant Secretary-General Andrew Gilmour presents the Secretary-General’s report on reprisals to the Human Rights Council.
Thursday, 19 September
The Security Council holds a briefing and consultations on the Middle East, focused on Syria.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) launches its report on the future humanitarian cost of climate change, The Cost of Doing Nothing.
The UN Conference on Trade and Development presents the Trade and Development Report 2019: Financing a Global Green New Deal, which is embargoed until 25 September.a
Friday, 20 September
The International Day of Peace (21 September) is observed today, with the focus on Climate Action for Peace.
Secretary-General Guterres rings the Peace Bell in the Japanese Garden at UNHQ and observes a minute of silence. A student observance follows, bringing together 700 young people, including Earth Guardians Youth Director Xiuhtezcatl Martinez. Other young people participate via videoconference from the UN Mission in Kosovo. UN Messengers of Peace Midori Goto and Yo-Yo Ma are leading participants in both events.
The Security Council is expected to adopt a resolution related to Colombia, followed by a briefing and consultations on the Middle East.
Inger Andersen, Executive Director of the UN Environment Programme, and Patricia Espinosa, Executive Secretary of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change launches the latest Greening the Blue report and discussed the UN’s efforts to make its operations more environmentally sustainable.
David Nanopoulos, Chief of the Treaty Section, Office of Legal Affairs briefs reporters on the 2019 Treaty Event.
Saturday, 21 September
The Youth Climate Summit begins with an address by Secretary-General Guterres.
- The 42nd Session of the Human Rights Council continues until 27 September.
- The 82nd session of the Committee on the Rights of the Child continues until 27 September.
- The 22nd session of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities continues until 20 September.
- The 119th session of the Working Group on Enforced and Involuntary Disappearances continues until 20 September.
In case you missed it last week:
- Secretary-General António Guterres sees impact of ‘Category Hell’ hurricane, powered by climate change in the Bahamas
- SG calls for ‘maximum restraint’ following drone assault on key Saudi oil facility
- Here are the five summits to watch
- Concerns voiced about talk of annexing parts of the West Bank
- Poverty, education and inclusion top new General Assembly President’s priority list
- Whole of Afghan society must get behind peace talks, envoy tells Security Council
- Independent scientists warn of reversal in progress on Sustainable Developmet Goals
- Is the world living up to its climate commitments?
- Modern-day slavery has 40 million people in its grip
- New UN proposal aims to counter hate and violence around the globe
- Monsoon destroys Rohingya shelters, sparking record emergency food aid
- New UN podcast: Uncomplicated
For more information:
- To find out which events will be webcast see: http://unwebtv.live/schedule.
- UN News Centre: https://news.un.org/en/
- UN Secretary-General: https://www.un.org/sg/en/content/sg/secretary-generals-speeches
- UN Security Council: https://www.un.org/securitycouncil/
- UN Spokesperson: http://www.un.org/sg/en/spokesperson