Sunday 23 June
- International Widows’ Day
- United Nations Public Service Day
Monday 24 June
- UN Ebola Emergency Response Coordinator David Gressly visits Washington
- The Security Council meets in closed consultations on the Middle East.
- The Secretary-General’s Special Envoy for the 2019 Climate Summit, Luis Alfonso de Alba will discuss the upcoming Climate Meeting in Abu Dhabi from 30 June to 1 July at at UNHQ’s Noon Briefing.
Tuesday 25 June
- Day of the Seafarer
- The Security Council meets on UNMISS and on the humanitarian situation in Syria.
- UN Women launches its flagship report, “Progress of the World’s Women 2019: Families in a Changing World.”
Wednesday 26 June
- International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking and UNODC’s launch of the 2019 World Drug Report
- United Nations International Day in Support of Victims of Torture
- The Security Council is expected to adopt resolutions on UNDOF and impose sanctions on the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Briefings on non-proliferation, and on sanctions against Sudan and Somalia
- The President of the Economic and Social Council briefs on the high-level political forum on sustainable development.
- Agnès Callamard, the UN Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions discusses her inquiry into the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
Thursday 27 June
- Micro-, Small and Medium-sized Enterprises Day and DESA hosts an event focused unlocking their potential in order to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
- The Security Council is expected to adopt resolutions on MINUSMA and UNAMID, followed by a briefing on the political situation in Syria.
- The UN General Assembly holds a plenary meeting on the responsibility to protect and the prevention of genocide, war crimes, ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity, followed by a briefing by UNGA President María Fernanda Espinosa Garcés.
- The United Nations Security Council Counter-Terrorism Committee (1373) holds an open briefing on protecting “soft” targets through local engagement and public-private partnerships.
Friday 28 June
- The G-20 Summit begins in Osaka, Japan
- Chairpersons of UN human rights treaty bodies brief reporters at UNHQ; UN OHCHR hosts the briefing.
- Frank Laczko, the IOM’s Director of the Global Migration Data Analysis Center briefs reporters at UNHQ’s Noon Briefing on the launch of a new report, “Fatal Journeys.”
In case you missed it last week:
- Week in Review (video)
- The Security Council focused on UN Peacekeeping operations,Yemen, the Middle East, the International Criminal Court’s work on Sudan, MINUSCA, UNAMA, UNDOF, .
- Reports included World Population Prospects 2019; UNHCR’s annual Global Trends Report on Forced Displacement
For more information:
- For a complete schedule: http://bit.ly/2iQpxx7.
- To find out which events will be webcast see: http://unwebtv.live/schedule.
- UN News Centre: https://news.un.org/en/
- UN Secretary-General: https://www.un.org/sg/en/content/sg/secretary-generals-speeches
- UN Security Council: https://www.un.org/securitycouncil/
UN Spokesperson: http://www.un.org/sg/en/spokesperson