Jul 29, 2019
The Week Ahead at the United Nations: 29 July 2019
Sunday 28 July 26, 2019
Monday 29 July
- The Security Council meets on the UN Support Mission in Libya and on Libya sanctions.
- A General Assembly working group on the State of the Marine Environment meets.
- Deputy Secretary-General Amina Mohammed participates in “One Day, I Will,” the opening of a photo exhibition that portrays girls trapped in humanitarian crises. Presented by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, with the support of the UN missions of France and Morocco, the event kicks off the 2019 World Humanitarian Day campaign, which will honor women humanitarians
- Sessions of the International Law Commission continuesand the Committee against Torture of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights continue in Geneva. Also there: a meeting of experts to the Convention on the Prohibition of the Development, Production and Stockpiling of Bacteriological (Biological) and Toxin Weapons and on Their Destruction; and the Conference on Disarmament.
Tuesday 30 July
- World Day against Trafficking in Persons
- International Day of Friendship
- The Security Council meets on the Middle East (Syria)
- The Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict brief reporters about the Secretary-General’s annual report on this subject.
Thursday 1 August
- World Breastfeeding Week
- Poland’s Permanent Representative, Joanna Wronecka, discusses plans for its presidency of the Security Council in August.
Friday 2 August
- The 50th Session of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) opens today and continues until 6 August.
In case you missed it:
- Week in Review (video)
- The Security Council focused on progress in consolidating democracy in West Africa and the Sahel, the obstacles hindering efforts to stop Ebola in the DRCongo, the measures needed to alleviate the crisis in the Occupied Palestinian Territories and keep the potential of a two-state solution alive, and the peace process in Colombia.
For more information:
- For a complete schedule: http://bit.ly/2iQpxx7.
- To find out which events will be webcast see: http://unwebtv.live/schedule.
- UN News Centre: https://news.un.org/en/
- UN Secretary-General: https://www.un.org/sg/en/content/sg/secretary-generals-speeches
- UN Security Council: https://www.un.org/securitycouncil/
UN Spokesperson: http://www.un.org/sg/en/spokesperson