Dec 09, 2019
This Week at the United Nations
9-13 December 2019
Monday, 9 December
- International Day of Commemoration and Dignity of the Victims
of the Crime of Genocide and of the Prevention of this Crime
- International Anti-Corruption Day
- Secretary-General António Guterres delivers remarks at the Central Emergency Response Fund High-Level Pledging Event, organized by United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.
Tuesday, 10 December
- Human Rights Day
- Secretary-General António Guterres delivers remarks at “Celebrating Human Rights Day: Youth standing for Human Rights,” an event organized by the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights.
- The Security Council meets with Troop-Contributing Countries on the UN Disengagement Observer Force (Israel/Syria).
Wednesday, 11 December
- International Mountain Day
- At the UN Climate Change Conference (COP25), in Madrid, Secretary-General António Guterres takes part in the High-Level Meeting of Caring for Climate, organized the UN Global Compact, and the High-Level Event on Global Climate Action.
- The Security Council debates the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals, then is briefed and has consultations on the Middle East (Syria).
Thursday, 12 December
- International Day of Neutrality
- International Universal Health Coverage Day
- The Security Council is briefed and has consultations on the Middle East (Yemen) in the morning; later it is briefed on the 1591 Committee (Darfur) and holds consultations on UN Disengagement Observer Force (Israel/Syria).
Friday, 13 December
- UN Climate Change Conference (COP25) in Madrid closes.
In case you missed it:
- Record number of people will need help worldwide during 2020: OCHA
- SG António Guterres: Green economy ‘an opportunity to be embraced’
- UN warns attacks on protesters, violence risk putting Iraq on dangerous trajectory
- Protests, civil unrest show ‘renewed sense of patriotism’ in Iraq
- Zimbabwe – once Africa’s breadbasket – faces man-made hunger crisis, worst in a decade
- ‘We all must step up’ collective action on disability inclusion: UN deputy chief
- UN rights chief extremely concerned over deadly crackdown on protesters in Iran
- Measles ‘misinformation campaigns’ through social media, fuel rising death toll
- Greener tourism: Greater collaboration needed to tackle rising emissions
- From landlocked to land-linked: how the UN is helping some of the poorest countries
- India’s plastic waste revolution
For more information:
- To find out which events will be webcast see: http://unwebtv.live/schedule
- UN News Centre: https://news.un.org/en/
- UN Secretary-General: https://www.un.org/sg/en/content/sg
- UN Security Council: https://www.un.org/securitycouncil/
- UN Spokesperson: http://www.un.org/sg/en/spokesperson