This Week at the United Nations
16-21 December 2019
Monday, 16 December
The Security Council is briefed on peace and security in Africa, focusing on inter-communal violence and terrorism in West Africa; and on the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan.
A UN General Assembly plenary meeting focuses on a range of issues, including strengthening UN coordination of humanitarian and disaster relief assistance.
Tuesday, 17 December
The Security Council is briefed on the SC subsidiary organs and the UNMission in South Sudan.
The UN General Assembly’s president convenes an event marking the end of the 2019 International Year of Indigenous Languages.
The first-ever UNHCR – Global Refugee Forum begins. It is the first-ever gathering of senior representatives of governments, UN organizations, leaders from the humanitarian-development worlds, refugees, business leaders, representatives of civil society, sporting organizations, faith organizations, media representatives and others. UN Secretary-General António Guterres participates.
- He and UNHCR High Commissioner Filippo Grandi subsequently hold a press conference.
- Separately, UNESCO focuses on its Qualifications Passport for Refugees and Vulnerable Migrants / Recognition of higher-education qualifications initiative.
Wednesday, 18 December
The Security Council is briefed and holds consultations on the Middle East; and the International Criminal Court’s work on Sudan.
A UNHCR-OECD technical briefing at Global Refugee Forum focuses on new approaches to financing refugee situations.
Another technical press briefing on UNHCR’s Sustainable Energy Strategy and the Clean Energy Challenge features Andrew Harper, UNHCR Special Advisor on Climate Action.
Thursday, 19 December
The Security Council is expected to adopt resolutions on the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the UN Disengagement Observer Force; it also is briefed and holds consultations on the Middle East (Syria) and on non-profileration work.
Friday, 20 December
OCHA Humanitarian Coordinator Jamie McGoldrick speaks at a press briefing about the humanitarian situation in the occupied Palestinian territory with a focus on Gaza.
The Security Council is briefed and holds consultations on the Middle East.
In case you missed it:
- Lamenting lost opportunity on climate, SG António Guterres says, we must not give up
- First-ever Global Forum on Refugees aims for bold, innovative measures
- Yemen: Despite setbacks, UN envoy hails shift toward peace
- WHO continues battle against Ebola in the face of violence with “air bridge”
- WFP in race against time as famine looms in South Sudan
- New report reveals unprecedented humanitarian crisis in Mali
For more information:
- To find out which events will be webcast see: http://unwebtv.live/schedule
- UN News Centre: https://news.un.org/en/
- UN Secretary-General: https://www.un.org/sg/en/content/sg
- UN Security Council: https://www.un.org/securitycouncil/
UN Spokesperson: http://www.un.org/sg/en/spokesperson