This Week at the United Nations
30 November – 6 December 2019
Saturday, 30 November
Sunday, 1 December
Monday, 2 December
- Secretary-General António Guterres delivers remarks at COP 25 meeting in Madrid.
- Deputy Secretary-General Amina Mohamed is in Dakar, Senegal for the Sustainable Development, Sustainable Debt conference and other meetings.
- The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)presents its report, Economic cost of the Israeli occupation for the Palestinian people: Fiscal aspects.
- The UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR)presents its findings about cash-based assistance programs for refugees and IDPs.
Tuesday, 3 December
- International Day of Persons with Disabilities
- The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) and UNICEF hold a press conference (under embargo) on OCHA’s Global Humanitarian Overview 2020 and UNICEF’s Humanitarian Action for Children 2020. The speakers are Mark Lowcock, Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator and Henrietta Fore, Executive Director, UNICEF.
- OCHA’s report is launched in Washington, DC and in other cities on 4 December. It provides the most comprehensive overview of the state of humanitarian action, the number of people in need, and coordinated response plans for humanitarian action across the world including the funding necessary to implement them.
- UNICEF’s Humanitarian Action for Children 2020 financial appeal, which is aligned with OCHA’s report but more expansive, focuses on raising funds needed to meet the needs of children affected by conflict and disaster across the globe.
Wednesday, 4 December
- The Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA)and the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) host Changing the Face of Tech Leadership: Celebrating Women with Disabilities who are Leading the Way in Tech.
Thursday, 5 December
- International Volunteer Dayfor Economic and Social Development
- World Soil Day
- The guests at the Noon Briefing will be Fekitamoeloa Katoa ‘Utoikamanu, High Representative for Least Developed, Landlocked, Small Island States and Julio César Arriola Ramírez, Permanent Representative of Paraguay to the UN and Chair of the group of Landlocked Developing Countries. They will brief reporters on the “Midterm Review of the Vienna Programme of Action for the Landlocked Developing Countries.” The topics are the focus of a General Assembly plenary meeting earlier in the day.
Friday, 6 December
- OHCHR’s Committee Against Torture holds a press conference with speakers focused Uzbekistan, Burkina Faso, Cyprus, Latvia and Niger.
In case you missed it:
- SG António Guterres: Signals of hope multiplying in face of climate change
- COP25: 5 things you need to know about the UN climate change conference
- UNEP report: Temperatures will rise 3.2 degrees C. (5.8 degree F.) even if world acts
- New WMO report finds greenhouse gas emissions continue to break records
- American aid worker at UN mission is killed in attack in Afghanistan
- One in three women worldwide suffers physical or sexual abuse
- Violence in Ebola hotspot leaves health workers dead, civilians caught in crossfire
- UNAIDS chief: Empowering people living with HIV will end the epidemic
- New report on migrants puts total at 3.5% of global population; 19% hope to reach U.S.
- UN deeply concerned about use of live ammo against protesters in Iraq
- Courage of terrorism survivors underlines urgency of UN’s investigation on ISIS
- Man-made starvation slowing making its way into Zimbabwe, UN expert warns
- WHO working to save lives following powerful earthquake in Albania
- Harlem Globetrotters dazzle at UNHQ visit, learn about SDGs
For more information:
- To find out which events will be webcast see: http://unwebtv.live/schedule
- UN News Centre: https://news.un.org/en/
- UN Secretary-General: https://www.un.org/sg/en/content/sg
- UN Security Council: https://www.un.org/securitycouncil/
UN Spokesperson: http://www.un.org/sg/en/spokesperson