Monday, 6 January
The Security Council holds closed consultations on Syria, Libya and other matters.
Wednesday, 8 January
The Security Council holds a briefing, followed by consultations on the UN Office for West Africa and the Sahel (UNOWAS).
Thursday, 9 January
The Security Council holds an open debate on “Maintenance of international peace and security: Upholding the UN Charter.” The Secretary-General is expected to speak.
In Geneva, the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights holds an information meeting on the 35th session of the Universal Periodic Review.
In case you missed it:
- SG António Guterres calls for de-escalation after U.S. airstrike kills Iranian General
- UN chief ‘deeply concerned’ following end of DPRK nuclear test moratorium
- UN Libya mission strongly condemns bombing of military academy, at least 30 dead
- Libya: UN refugee agency deeply concerned by shelling near Tripoli facility
- Nearly 300,000 Syrians displaced from Idlib since mid-December
- World Food Program: Sub-Saharan Africa faces grave hunger challenges in 2020
- 2020 Year of the Nurse and the Midwife to highlight ‘backbone’ of health systems
- WHO chief: Investing in health workers yields ‘triple dividend’
- Deadly decade: UNICEF reports tripling of verified attacks on children since 2010
- UN News year in photos
- World Braille Day (4 January)
For more information:
- To find out which events will be webcast see: http://unwebtv.live/schedule
- UN News Centre: https://news.un.org/en/
- UN Secretary-General: https://www.un.org/sg/en/content/sg
- UN Security Council: https://www.un.org/securitycouncil/
- UN Spokesperson: http://www.un.org/sg/en/spokesperson